“Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course – the distance between your ears.” – Bobby Jones, co-founder of the Augusta National Golf Club and the yearly Masters Tournament
Jones meant that to be a good golfer, you must be mentally focused. However, we’d like to think when Jones referred to the distance between your ears, he actually meant that you can’t play golf without a good pair of Oakley sunglasses.
Good focus requires clear sight and as few distractions as possible. When you are on the greens, weather conditions can play a big part in your ability to see clearly. As a result, Oakley has developed frames with added comfort and lenses specifically for golfing. And with spring in the air and the 2012 Masters Tournament this week, it is prime time find the perfect pair of golfing sunglasses.
Oakley constructs all golfing sunglasses with O Matter, their own plastic material, with the goals of lightness, durability, comfort and shock absorption. The nose pads and temple tip coverings, also from an Oakley-made material called Unobtainium, provide added comfort and an increased grip when you perspire.
Made specifically for golfing, the G30 lenses, also available in a polarized version, increase depth perception on the golf course by enhancing the visual contrast of greens and blues. From overcast skies and shadowed holes to sunny skies and unfortunate glare, all conditions on a golf course meet the G30 lenses with ideal results.
Although their lenses come in other versions, the frames in the following list make up Oakley’s top 7 sunglasses with golf-specific lenses:
- Fast Jacket — With rounded lenses, one of the most popular Oakley frames among golfers, worn by Rory McIlroy, Luke Donald, Ian Poulter and Ricky Barnes. Fast Jacket Prescription Sunglasses available.
- Fast Jacket XL — With rectangular lenses, a favorite of young female golfer Yani Tseng. Fast Jacket XL Prescription Sunglasses available.
The Fast Jacket and Fast Jacket XL Sunglasses come with two pairs of lenses. The versions with a pair of G30 lenses are perfect for golfing. And if you aren’t playing golf or the other lenses are more appropriate for light conditions, it’s easy to change them out.
- Flak Jacket — With smooth lenses, worn by golfer Parker McLachlin. Flak Jacket Prescription Sunglasses and Flak Jacket Replacement Lenses available.
- Flak Jacket XLJ — With deeper lenses, a popular frame among Adam Scott, Rich Beem, Ian Poulter and Ricky Barnes. Flak Jacket XLJ Prescription Sunglasses and Flak Jacket XLJ Replacement Lenses available.
The Flak Jacket and Flak Jacket XLJ Sunglasses are just as sporty but come with lenses that are more angular than the first two frames. The golf specific versions are Jet Black with G30 lenses.
- Radar Path — Straighter shields, also worn by Rory McIlroy. Radar Path Replacement Lenses available.
- Radar Pitch — Rounded shields.
- Radar Range — Edgier shields. Radar Range Replacement Lenses available.
For wrap-around options, the Radar Path, Radar Pitch and Radar Range all come in golf-specific frames with a G30 shield lens. To create a cool airflow, these frames feature an open space on the temples.
In addition to these seven, you can find other Oakley sunglasses that come with G30 lenses or the ability for you to replace the lenses. In addition to G30, the VR28 and VR28 Black Iridium lenses work well to enhance contrast and depth perception on the greens.
As an added bonus, golfers who wear eyeglasses will be intrigued by the Oakley Casing Eyeglasses, which feature golf-club inspired temples. Part of the Oakley Active Eyeglasses collection, these frames come with the option of photochromatic or tinted lenses, perfect for wearing on or off the links.
Related pages & posts – Top 10 Oakley Polarized Sunglasses, Infinite Hero Foundation Teams with Oakley, Oakley 3D Sunglasses for Tron: Legacy, Fashion Sunglasses Go 3-D, Oakley Invents Prescription 3D Glasses, Frames in the Rain, Video: Oakley Sunglasses High Velocity Tests, Unraveling the Technology Behind Shades, Oakley Prescription Sunglasses, Oakley Gascan 3D Glasses!, Oakley Golf Sunglasses.4